Type of Smoking: Recommended - Warm Smoking
Temperature: Medium Indirect Heat
To avoid drying out the pineapple flesh, it's recommended to use medium indirect heat when smoking. The specific temperature may vary depending on your smoker's settings, but typically around 80 degrees Celsius is suitable.
Time: Approximately 15-30 minutes
The smoking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the pineapple, but as a general guideline, aim for about 15-30 minutes. The key is to impart flavor to the pineapple during its exposure to the smoke in the smoker, so timing is crucial.
- Fresh pineapple
- Smoking chips (fruity wood varieties are recommended)
- Cinnamon powder (optional)
1. Prepare the Pineapple Peel the fresh pineapple, remove the core, and cut it into appropriately sized pieces. It's recommended to cut it into bite-sized pieces for easy consumption.
2. Prepare the Smoking Chips If using a smoker, soak the smoking chips in water for a while and then drain them. This ensures that the smoking chips will burn slowly during smoking.
3. Infuse Flavor into the Pineapple Lightly brush honey onto the cut surfaces of the pineapple and sprinkle with cinnamon powder (if desired).
4. Smoke in the Smoker Place the moistened smoking chips in the smoker. Put the pineapple in the smoker and close the lid. Smoke it with medium indirect heat. Smoking time will vary depending on the size of the pineapple pieces, but typically, 15-30 minutes is a good estimate.
5. Enjoy the Flavor Once smoking is complete, the pineapple will have absorbed the flavors of honey and cinnamon. You can enjoy it as is or use it as a topping for ice cream or yogurt.
Additional Tips: For a more enjoyable smoking experience, consider the step of "soaking smoking chips in water." While it's not essential, it can influence the evenness of smoke distribution during smoking, and we recommend it at KIWAMIYA Tei.
The process of moistening smoking chips is as follows:
- Prepare the chips by placing them in a small bowl or container.
- Add enough water to the container with the chips to submerge them.
- The time for the chips to absorb water is typically around 15 to 30 minutes.
- Once the chips have absorbed enough moisture, remove any excess water. You can lightly squeeze the chips by hand or use a paper towel to remove moisture.
Recommended Smoking Chips for Pineapple:
- Mango Wood: Offers a fruity and sweet aroma that pairs well with pineapple.
- Orange Wood: Known for its citrusy aroma, it adds a refreshing touch to pineapple.
- Papaya Wood: Provides a tropical fragrance that complements pineapple beautifully.
- Apple Wood: Its sweet aroma and fruity flavor match pineapple excellently.
- Hickory: Offers a nutty scent that harmonizes with the pineapple's flavor. It's suitable for use as an accent.
Recommended Pineapple Smoking Variation: Taiwanese-Style Smoked Pineapple Bowl
- Fresh pineapple rings
- Brown sugar or black sugar
- Taiwanese tea (e.g., Tie Guan Yin tea, Dong Fang Mei Ren tea, Ali Shan tea, etc.)
- Smoking chips (recommended fruity wood varieties)
Recommended Tea Varieties for Pineapple Smoking:
- Tie Guan Yin Tea: This famous oolong tea from Taiwan has floral and fruity notes that pair well with pineapple. Mixing it with smoking chips imparts a unique aroma to the pineapple.
- Dong Fang Mei Ren Tea: This fruity and sweet tea can balance the sweetness of pineapple and enhance its flavor.
- Ali Shan Tea: Known for its floral fragrance and mild flavor, Ali Shan tea complements the pineapple's aroma well.
- Qing Xin Oolong Tea: Among the various types of Taiwanese tea, Qing Xin oolong tea offers a pleasant floral and fresh flavor that can enhance the pineapple's taste.
- Prepare pineapple rings by cutting them into suitable sizes, removing the core.
- Sprinkle brown sugar or black sugar lightly over the surface of the pineapple. Ensure that the sugar coats the pineapple evenly, allowing it to meld with the fruit.
- In the smoker, combine damp smoking chips with your selected Taiwanese tea leaves, and preheat the smoker.
- Arrange the pineapple slices on a rack and place them inside the smoker. Close the lid and smoke at a medium indirect heat of approximately 80 degrees Celsius (176 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Smoke the pineapple for about 15 to 20 minutes inside the smoker, ensuring that the smoke from the smoking chips permeates the pineapple well.
- Once smoking is complete, remove the pineapple and let it cool slightly by soaking it in Taiwanese tea. Allow the tea's flavor to infuse into the pineapple.
- Serve the pineapple on a plate, drizzle it with the liquid from the Taiwanese tea leaves, and enjoy. You can also refrigerate it for a delightful chilled treat.
Smoked Pineapple Honey Mascarpone Toast
- Smoked pineapple slices
- Fresh mascarpone cheese
- Toasted bread
- Spread mascarpone cheese on toasted bread.
- Place the smoked pineapple slices on top of the mascarpone cheese.
- Optionally, drizzle a small amount of honey over it to add sweetness.